Thursday, August 11, 2016

the D word

I went to see nurse the other day regarding my sugar level thing. I brought along the letter. I've been anxious ever since i received that letter, to be honest. Even so, that did not stop me from eating what i want to eat, although i started to work out slowly. Anyway, I went to see her and first thing she said was 'You look skinny there's no way you can have diabetic'. But she went on to check on my previous blood test results and said 'Well, all in normal range. Nothing to worry'. I asked her what are my sugar level. Mine was 5mmol/l. The range was 3-9 mmol/l. So i sit somewhere in between. I went home feeling so relieved.

A few weeks before that, I bought a book - The 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley. I cant remember how i came across this book but I bought it anyway on Amazon. I did not expect much as I was not really keen on health-kinda-book. But i went on and read it. The first few chapters was like Kapoww! right on your face. He explains the science behind it. How our body works related to sugar content, etc. All in all, it was a good book. Although the diet programme might not work for me because i am underweight but the foods/diet suggested in these books can benefit anyone who wish to control their sugar level.

According to the book below are the fasting glucose level:-

Normal : 3.9 - 5.5 mmol/l
Prediabetic : 5.6 - 7.0 mmol/l
Diabetic : More than 7.0 mmol/l

It said "There is disagreement about exactly where normal ends and prediabetes begins. The figures above are from The American Diabetic Association. The WHO says normal is under 6.1 mmol/l, while NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellent) recommends you keep below 5.9 mmol/l"

So, mine is 5 mmol/l. That sits at the border of normal range. I dont have to have a doctor or anyone to say anything to me about this, but I knew the danger if i move to next range. Although pre-diabetic is not yet diagnosed as diabetic but it increased the risk of getting one if one did nothing out of it. There are a few more things he pointed out in the book that seems interesting.

That 'You can be overweight without being diabetic and diabetic without being overweight. In fact, being a skinny Type 2 diabetic can be more dangerous than being a fat one'

There are many more information in this book that even if you are not diabetic, you can go on and read.

I might still have my bad craving on sweet things like chocolate, cake and oreos (why o why they taste so good). Hopefully i can cut that down to once a week. Yesterday, when we went out to dinner at Nandos, I ordered myself a Quinoa Salad rather than a quater chicken with chips. And I also cut down cereal (especially to my kids too) and started making omelette instead. I started drinking unsweetened almond milk (which surprising taste nice). All these - I was trying to change my tastebud to something less sweeter. Because once i get used to it, it'll be easier on other things to resist.

I still want to check my glucose range but pricking my finger myself - er was not an option, so perhaps i might go visit my GP one day for another test.








No comments:

Post a Comment